Thursday, April 5, 2012

You never know what's around the corner...

"You never know what is around the corner unless you peek. Hold someone’s hand while you do it…you’ll feel less scared.. You can’t do this alone. Plus, it’s much more fun to succeed and fail with other people. You can blame them when things go wrong. Take your risks now, as you grow older you become more fearful and less flexible…literally. Try to keep your mind open to possibilities and your mouth closed on matters you don’t know about. Limit your ‘always’ and your ‘nevers’. Continue to share your heart with people, even if it’s been broken."
[Amy Poehler]
via
I found this quote earlier today that I had saved back in July of last year. Even though I haven't seen it since then, it still hit home the same way it did the first time I read it (I bet it still will when I see it in the future too). For as long as I can remember I have hoped that I can always live life to the fullest, and to not let fears and risks scare me. I think it's actually my biggest fear......that I won't live life to the fullest.

Over the last few months I have been really hard on myself over a few things. I have always had very high standards of myself and what I expect from my life. For the most part, I've been consumed with reaching goals for the last, oh, 7 years.

[You know, when you realized in high school that you really want to go to college and become something? Then you have college, where you are stressed about making the right decisions...and then when you don't make the right ones you have to make up for the "bad" ones. Then you graduate and try to live the dream you thought up while you were still in school.
Have you been there?]

So, now that I'm out of school sometimes I feel a little......lost. I have goals, but life isn't as fast paced as it used to be. At least, not as fast paced in the areas that I wish it was. I feel like time flies in my personal life, but it's creeping by in my professional life. I always thought I had reasonable goals, a reasonable timeline, and realistic dreams. Well, like with most things in life, it isn't going quite as planned. Don't get me wrong-I have an amazing life and a good job, but it gets me down sometimes when I start to dwell on where I am in comparison to where I want to be. I am constantly brainstorming ways to improve, alter, or entirely redo my 'plan'. [Do you ever find yourself doing this? What do you do to kick yourself in the butt and make it stop?]
via
via
Lately I've been working on just accepting where I am right now. I know that the last few months haven't been fun for me, even though I've been doing awesome things. I let myself get down about the few things that aren't perfect, and I miss the big picture. I don't want my life to fly by me, just to realize that I cared too much about the unimportant things, and not enough about the things that really matter.

I think the moral of the story message I want to share with you is this: take it easy on yourself sometimes, especially if you're fully aware of what's going on in your life and you have good life goals. Sometimes you have to take a step back, enjoy the moment, and not worry about the rest. Because with hard work and focus, you'll get where you're supposed to. And even if you don't know where that place is or when you'll arrive, at least you'll enjoy the journey there!
via
----------------
Are you an obsessive worrier [like me]? I hope not!
If you are, how do you kick the feeling when it creeps up?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Everything will happen when it's supposed to happen! I am very hard on myself too, but sometimes we just need to take a deep breath and let it go. Hope you're having a good weekend!

Keith J. Reilly said...

www.flickr.com/photos/kiki0921/7313244360