Thursday, June 2, 2011

Betcha Didn't Know-Murfreesboro, TN

As you know, a recent move brought me a little further south to settle in a charming little place called Murfreesboro, TN. Most people have no idea where it is, so it becomes that "little town south of Nashville". It is that, for sure, but really it's much more. Here are a few things I betcha didn't know about Murfreesboro!

The population as of 2010 is around 108,755 (Nashville, TN is around 626,681 and Louisville, KY is around 741,096).

Murfreesboro was Tennessee's state capitol from 1819 to 1826.

 
Murfreesboro was also the site of Civil War Battle of Stones River-the last battle before the signature of the Emancipation Proclamation! 


Middle Tennessee Statue University calls Murfreesboro home (with over 26,000 students). University of Louisville plays this team.

The Rutherford County courthouse is only one of six Pre-Civil War courthouses still in use in Tennessee today. Also, located in the historic downtown square-a mix of new and old store fronts as well as some great southern charm!


Murfreesboro has a newcomers club. You read that right :) One of the best things about southern hospitality, you don't have a chance to feel left out if you just take a look around.

Even as I list things about my new town, I notice that there isn't a large amount of social media surrounding community activities. I am used to having way more opportunities to know what is happening around me. Of course the fact that there are far less activities here compared to Louisville would explain why. I know that there are more events happening around me than I am aware of! I can only hope I can help learn about new things and get the info out there. Imagine that, little ol' me, spreading the word!

P.s. Thanks to the Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce and the Murfreesboro Newcomers club for the info listed above as well as the National Park Services site for the battlefield photo!

No comments: